We started long division last week. We all know that long division is one of the hardest things to learn in elementary school, let alone 4th grade.
Exhibit A: Sits at his desk and does nothing. Does not do homework. Stares at his paper until I come over and practically guide his hand to do the work. The thing is that he is smart, but just doesn't want to try something if it is hard. Two weeks later it is time for the test. Ten minutes into the test he comes up to me and says, "Ms. A., I'm not very good at division." Hmmmm, what kind of a response should I give?
Exhibit B: Learned all of the multiplication facts/division facts with the rest of the class (they have been practicing since second grade). Payed attention to the algorithm for long division. The first few were kind of hard, but she kept trying. The problems started to get a little easier. Picked it up in 2 days. Master of long division.
Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment